I've shot Azrael pretty regularly since I found him. So much so that I'm afraid I go to the "Azrael Well" too often, and that's one of the things I don't like about myself, creatively speaking. I find some technique I like and I do it until it becomes habitual, then I get bored and stop. It happened with painting wargaming miniatures and I'm determined to not let it happen with my photography.
That said, however, this photo sums up the tricks I rely on for interesting toy shots, namely smoke and fire. If one fails, the other invariably picks up the visual slack. First, I tried the old "coming out of the smoke" trick, but the flashlights I use to illuminate Azrael's wrist blades created light beams in the smoke that looked really strange. Then I tried the old "coming out of the fire" trick, which looked even more strange because here this guy is, strolling out of an inferno with his wrist swords on fire, but they seem to provide a suspiciously small amount of illumination.
So I did what any budding photographer would do, I created a smaller fire in front and used it to frame the bottom of the shot. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have preferred the front flames to be roughly waist-high (on Azrael, not up to my waist), but that's hindsight for you. Everything looks easy once it's too late to change it.
Hold <- then -> and press 'A' for EXIF Data:
|Exposure:||0.5 sec (1/2)|
|Focal Length:||50 mm|
|Exposure Bias:||1 EV|
|Software:||Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows|
|Date and Time:||2007:12:21 13:33:56|
|Date and Time (Original):||2007:12:21 13:32:05|
|Date and Time (Digitized):||2007:12:21 13:32:05|
|Metering Mode:||Center Weighted Average|
|Focal Plane X-Resolution:||630 dpc|
|Focal Plane Y-Resolution:||630 dpc|
|Sensing Method:||One-chip colour area sensor|
|Exposure Mode:||Auto bracket|
|Focal Length In 35mm Film:||75|
|Image Width:||2024 pixels|
|Image Height:||3024 pixels|