El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

Assassin Droid in Summer (2)

2:00 PM by , under ,

Assassin Droid in Summer

I've noticed that my photos tend to follow a few set patterns, stylistically. I've even been told that I have a "signature" and that my photos can be recognized at thumbnail size. While I recognize that kind of visibility can only be a good thing for a photographer (especially if you someday hope to make any money at it), there is a part of me that resents it, even if only a little.

When I'm stuck for inspiration, I tend to surf either Flickr or DeviantArt. Both sites are great but for very different reasons. I've found Flickr to be the best place for technical brilliance. From framing to exposure times, Flickr makes me a more proficient photographer. I learned the rules there. I regularly converse with several amazing people who have taught me so much. With DeviantArt, however, the rules are thrown out. Colors, patterns, textures, everything goes into the final image. And I think that is a very important distinction to make. Flickr has taught me how to take good photos, but DeviantArt is teaching me how to take that photo and play with it; to not feel constrained by what I see through the viewfinder.

While today's shot may simply be some color tweaks, a little texture, and an overlay for mood, it's the first timid steps into something bigger and better for me.

IG-88 is an Assassin Droid in the Star Wars universe and is produced by Hasbro.

Be good,
-Dave

You know why
They called and just let it ring



| edit post

2 Reply to "Assassin Droid in Summer"

keri on March 1, 2010 at 7:54 AM

and it's so very unbelievably awesome!

xox

 

El Dave on March 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Aw, thank you! :)