El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

Confession Time (3)

6:40 PM by , under

Before I got into photography, I was big into tabletop miniature games such as Warhammer 40,000 and Warmachine. I loved assembling the characters, customizing and painting them, and I especially enjoyed the social aspect of setting my shiny new army down on the table and playing against other people. The social side of gaming is something that I'm missing from photography. Flickr and all the incredible people I've met through my photography have been more than generous with both their time and praise, but it still seems sort of a one way conversation. I take the picture, you look at it and sometimes tell me what you think. My background is certainly not as an artist, so I'm not used to waiting for people to form opinions and judge my work as such. I'm used to the much more relaxed "Hey, that's cool. Roll for initiative, sucka".

What all this means is that I've been getting the urge to game again. A new edition of Warhammer 40,000 either has been released or will be soon (been out of the loop these last few years) and the perennial favorite Dungeons and Dragons is rolling out the newest 4th Edition ruleset that I've heard nothing but good things about. So in an attempt to stave off my desire to drop several hundred dollars on a new army, I went to the shelf and took pictures of models I have already painted, but never really photographed. I hope you dig them.

Mangu Timur
Techpriest
Necron Lord

Be good,
-Dave



| edit post

3 Reply to "Confession Time"

creativeapples on June 8, 2008 at 7:44 PM

i'll play with you!
(just promise not to kick my ass too badly....)

 

David A Price on June 8, 2008 at 7:51 PM

Very, very cool, bro. They look fantastic.

I never took the time to fool around with 40K, but there were games being played on the weekends at the comic shop I used to go to. Looked like a ton o' fun.

Thanks for sharing. The photos and the history.

 

AB on June 9, 2008 at 2:22 AM

Nice blog entry and photographs, Dave! I have never played any of those games, but your comments went a long way in conveying your fondness for them -- both as nostalgia and the desire to jump back in (and the need to resist that urge!).

As always, your photography is fantastic! It's a lot like many of the writing projects I take on... often there is very little feedback -- good or bad, and you sometimes wonder if there's anybody else out there. But you have to have the conversation, even if it is just with yourself. It's always worthwhile, man. (At least that's what I keep telling myself!)

Thanks for sharing!