El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

Sandman (2)

5:50 AM by , under

Sandman

From Wikipedia:
The Sandman (Wesley Dodds), is a fictional superhero appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. The first of several DC characters to bear the name, he was created by writer Gardner Fox and artist Bert Christman.

Attired in a green business suit, fedora, and gas mask, the Sandman used a gun emitting a sleeping gas to sedate criminals. He was originally one of the “mystery men” to appear in comic books and other types of adventure fiction in the 1930s but later developed into a more proper superhero, acquiring sidekick Sandy, and joining the Justice Society of America.

1920's and 30's fashion and design has always fascinated me. Re-reading my collections of Sandman Mystery Theater lit a fire under my butt. I wanted to try and recreate a nightclub scene, but with the Sandman, that had to mean fog machine.

I used our two lanterns as a backdrop and grabbed a tiki-totem-pole-thing I found at a dollar store. Because the fog machine is fickle, the photoshoot ran a little longer than normal. It clocked in at 42 photos, compared to my regular 6 exposures and I'm done.

Thankfully, editing in Photoshop was fairly easy. A quick bump in saturation and contrast really made the picture pop, but the thing that really made the picture for me was running Auto Levels. I'm not sure what happened, but it added the cool contrast to the smoke. I should really look into what Auto Levels actually does...

No one can escape the Sandman's dark EXIF:

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/2.5
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 1/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 72 dpi
Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Date and Time: 2008:05:17 00:13:34
YCbCr Positioning: Co-Sited
Exposure Program: Normal
Date and Time (Original): 2008:05:16 22:22:28
Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:05:16 22:22:28
Shutter Speed: 131072/65536
Metering Mode: Pattern
Color Space: sRGB
Focal Plane X-Resolution: 3210.946 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution: 3230.241 dpi
Compression: JPEG
Image Width: 2816 pixels
Image Height: 1880 pixels

Be good,
-Dave



| edit post

2 Reply to "Sandman"

Boneyard Chicago on May 19, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Auto-Levels does the same thing as Levels, except that it does it automatically. Generally, it's fine to just use that, but you can't fine tune it like you can with Levels. If you want, I can show you it a bit some time.

 

Boneyard Chicago on May 19, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Just read what I typed, Gee, an auto feature doing something sutomatically? Who'da thunk it? Need to remember to EDIT before I post. :)