El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

Galactus (0)

11:25 AM by , under

Galactus

Galactus, like Azrael, is one of those figures that I keep coming back to. There is just so much going on here that I feel like every photoshoot reveals some new little detail, a new feature that I didn't notice before.

Before I get into the nitty gritty, here is the obligitory Biography of Galactus (with things I didn't know before right now):
via Wikipedia

By 1966, Lee and Kirby had decided to create a Fantastic Four story where the nominal heroes were totally eclipsed by a much larger, god-like concept and power. This culminated in the introduction of Galactus in Fantastic Four #48-50 (March-May 1966), now known as the "Galactus Trilogy". Both co-creators attributed their inspiration rising from a desire to break from the archetypal mold of super-villain at the time. Lee explained the conception of the character's identity: "I created Galactus after we had done so many villains and wanted something different. I wondered, 'How could we get something bigger than a villain? Let's do a guy who's like a demigod — I like the name Galactus'. He comes from outer space and eats planets, or some stupid thing". Kirby discussed his Biblical inspirations for Galactus and the Silver Surfer, and the revolutionary aspects of the characters:

My inspirations were the fact that I had to make sales. And I had to come up with characters that were no longer stereotypes. In other words I couldn't depend on gangsters anymore, I had to get something new. And of course I...for some reason, I went to the Bible. And I came up with Galactus. And there I was in front of this tremendous figure, who I knew very well, because I always felt him, and I certainly couldn't treat him the same way that I would any ordinary mortal...and of course the Silver Surfer is the fallen angel. And when Galactus relegated him to Earth he stayed on Earth...they were figures that have never been used before in comics. They were above mythic figures, and of course, they were the first gods.

Today I tried for an eye-level account of Galactus's rampage. I wanted to keep the focus squarely on Galactus, because, really, if a giant space god is going to eat your planet, you aren't going to be watching the Human Torch (Ok, so I would be watching Iron Man, but that's just me). There really wasn't too much done special for this shot. I set up on the stove (I know, I know) and only used the single bulb for lighting. Processing in Photoshop was just as simple with a quick contract boost and a little color adjustment to boost the orangey-ness? I guess?
Yeah, that'll do.

I have become EXIF, destroyer of worlds.
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 8 sec (8)
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Exposure Bias: 1/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 72 dpi
Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Date and Time: 2008:05:14 13:18:11
YCbCr Positioning: Co-Sited
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Date and Time (Original): 2008:05:14 13:06:41
Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:05:14 13:06:41
Shutter Speed: -196607/65536
Metering Mode: Pattern
Color Space: sRGB
Focal Plane X-Resolution: 3210.946 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution: 3230.241 dpi
White Balance: Manual
Compression: JPEG
Image Width: 1880 pixels
Image Height: 2816 pixels

Be good,
-Dave



| edit post

0 Reply to "Galactus"