El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

Gene Colan 1

11:08 AM by , under

Plastic 52 - Week 46

Gene Colan is my favorite comic book artist. He always has been, even before I realized who he was. I've never been one to really study the artwork in comic books, but there was so much energy in Gene's pencils that they literally lept off the page at me. The New York he had Daredevil swinging through was an actual living, breathing place. It was just as much a character and a personality as the main character. People often laugh about his Iron Man because the faceplate flexed to convey emotion. The script never called for it, no writer or editor ever asked for it, but Gene felt it was important to the story. "He's a smart guy. I'm sure Tony could invent a mask that moved". To this day, I hold every sequential artist up to the yardstick of Gene Colan.

Now he's in trouble.

Please, please take 5 minutes out of your day and write the man a letter. You don't have to make it personal, just let him know he's in your thoughts and prayers, and say a quick thank you for all the years he's enriched our lives. I promise you, it will mean the world to Gentleman Gene Colan.

Gene Colan
2 Sea Cliff Avenue
Sea Cliff, NY 11579


Today's photo is the cover of the card I've sent. I hope you will send one too.

Be good,
-Dave



| edit post

1 Reply to "Gene Colan"

erik colan on June 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM

i loved what you said about my father