El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

Grindak Bloodbreath (by ElDave)

Grindak's bio, courtesy Privateer Press.com:

Grindak is a figure of local renown in the highlands of Ord where he roves the moors from North Berck to the Olgunholt in search of his lady love. She was taken hostage by a band of raiders, and Grindak has vowed never to rest until they meet their ends upon the wicked edge of his iron axe.

Grindak Bloodbreath is a 32mm metal miniature produced by Privateer Press for the Iron Kingdoms RPG.

My goal here was to try and match the industrial-Victorian/steampunk visual style of the Iron Kingdoms as closely as I could and that meant trying to emulate old manual film cameras with fully automated modern gear.

The first thing I decided was to avoid black and white, but still stick to a muted pallet of browns and greens. Because I painted him in very drab colors, this wasn't so hard, really. The only thing I needed in Photoshop was a warming filter overlay.

The second thing I wanted was a funky vignette. I am a big fan of TTV, and the dirty, scratchy look is exactly what I'm going for.

Finally, I had to make sure the figure's base was hidden and looked natural. I think from now on, whenever I buy miniatures, I'm going to keep them off their bases unless I plan on playing with them. I'm starting to develop a complex because you never see any of my miniatures below the knees, because I can't find a way to disguise the base. In any event, this time it worked out ok, but I think in the future, baseless is the way to go.

Shoot, this means I have to buy more miniatures. Just to paint...

Roll 2d6 + EXIF:

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Flash: Off, Did not fire

File Size: 862 kB
File Type: JPEG
MIME Type: image/jpeg
Image Width: 1316
Image Height: 1460
Encoding Process: Baseline DCT, Huffman coding
Bits Per Sample: 8
Color Components: 3
X-Resolution: 72 dpi
Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Date and Time (Modified): 2009:06:30 20:44:45
YCbCr Positioning: Co-sited
Exposure Program: Aperture-priority AE
Date and Time (Original): 2009:06:29 17:37:29-05:00
Date and Time (Digitized): 2009:06:29 17:37:29
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Color Space: sRGB
Focal Plane X-Resolution: 4433.29532497149 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution: 4453.60824742268 dpi
Custom Rendered: Normal
Exposure Mode: Auto
White Balance: Manual
Scene Capture Type: Standard
Compression: JPEG (old-style)
Global Angle: 30
Global Altitude: 30
Copyright Flag: False
Photoshop Quality: 12
Photoshop Format: Standard
Progressive Scans: 3 Scans
XMPToolkit: Adobe XMP Core 4.1-c036 46.276720, Mon Feb 19 2007 22:40:08
Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
Metadata Date: 2009:06:30 20:44:45-05:00
Creator Tool: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Format: image/jpeg
Color Mode: 3
ICCProfile Name: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
Viewing Conditions Illuminant Type: D50
Measurement Observer: CIE 1931
Measurement Flare: 0.999%
Measurement Illuminant: D65
Color Transform: YCbCr
Flash Return: No return detection
Flash Mode: Off
Flash Function: False
Flash Red Eye Mode: False

Be good,
-Dave



| edit post

1 Reply to "Grindak Bloodbreath"

Fengschwing on August 1, 2009 at 6:44 AM

Yep, especially loving the vigenette in this one.
Plus he does seem like he's roaming the moors and I like a good moor.