El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

New Studio Space: First Shots (3)

7:09 AM by , under

Last weekend was all about getting the new space finished. It started with casting a huge number of Hirst Arts plaster blocks. I'm pretty sure I'll be finding plaster dust on everything I own for the next few years...

The hardest part was trying to decide how to paint them. I tried sponge painting, priming and then basecoating, washes; you name it, I probably tried it. In frustration, I put the painting on hold for a while, which led to me setting up the lights and reflectors and taking a portrait of Jorge-052 from Halo: Reach.

Jorge-052
(click image for larger view)

Right. Yeah, I'm very happy with how that turned out! The new studio really sings and I think this first shot is a good example. Did I mention that this is straight out of the camera? Because, yeah.

Going back to the plaster blocks, I remembered the can of metallic spraypaint that I bought specifically for the blocks and went to work spraying. 20 minutes and some superglue later, I ended up with this:

Untitled-5
(click image for larger view)

To give a better idea of what the set looks like, here's a full view of my little table:

Desk
(click image for larger view)

What do you think?

Be good,
-Dave

she's got a bottle and a paper
so she can forget her name



| edit post

3 Reply to "New Studio Space: First Shots"

Boneyard Chicago on October 4, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I suppose It looks good, but... I mean... where's the glitter?

No, in all seriousness, that's coming along pretty well. Have you thought about doing any sort of "on set" lighting, lice with LED's or anything? Maybe some lighting from under a grated floor or something?

When are you going to show the new studio? Or do I need to get my butt over there and see it in person? :)

 

Boneyard Chicago on October 4, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Oh, this is Boogey-Bee, btw. Apparently it's decided to use the blog name for my ID...

 

El Dave on October 5, 2010 at 8:35 AM

@Ryan - As you can see, it's still REALLY early in the build process. There will be plenty of opportunity for on-set lighting!