El Dave Photography

A photographer and his toys. Updated weekly.

Hawkman (0)

7:00 AM by , under

Hawkman

I have to confess, I'm a fairly recent convert to this character. Hawkman just wasn't someone I was interested in. Until I started listening to the Raging Bullets Podcast where hosts Sean and Jim went into depth (and depth and depth. Seriously guys, breathe!) on the character and completely changed my mind. This was a character I could get behind! So of course I had to reread all my old JLA Hawkman appearances as well as the more recent JSA series, an I have to tell you, I am a Hawkman Fan!

Due to his...unique stature and minimal articulation, there really wasn't much I could do with Mr. Hall. I could do the obvious "DC Icon" pose that cats like Alex Ross do so well, you know, chin up, shoulders square, chest out. I tried a couple of different poses (well, camera angles. Can't really pose him), then I pulled out the old "lowered perspective" trick to make him look larger. Then, inspired by the Justice League Unlimited title sequence, I turned him slightly so we aren't looking into his Hawk Crotch.

I know, I never thought I'd say that either.

Lighting was one desklamp through the back-left corner of the lightbox with a sheet of scrapbook paper behind Hawkman. The good news is, I think Ive got my Photoshop processing down now so all of my future shots should have this level of clarity. I'm really digging it and I hope you are too. Especially if you work for a toy manufacturer and are looking for a photographer.
HINT HINT

Soaring on the wings of EXIF:

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/2.5
Focal Length: 50 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV
Flash: Flash did not fire

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)
X-Resolution: 72 dpi
Y-Resolution: 72 dpi
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Date and Time: 2008:02:06 17:40:28
Artist Name: unknown
Tag::TIFF::0x882A: -6, -6
Exposure Program: Normal
Date and Time (Original): 2008:02:06 18:21:36
Date and Time (Digitized): 2008:02:06 18:21:36
Shutter Speed: 2/1
Maximum Lens Aperture: 265625/100000
Metering Mode: Pattern
Color Space: Uncalibrated
Focal Plane X-Resolution: 4433.295 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution: 4453.608 dpi
White Balance: Manual
Compression: JPEG
By-Line (Author): unknown
Image Width: 2592 pixels
Image Height: 3888 pixels

Be good,
-Dave



| edit post

0 Reply to "Hawkman"